Facebook has confirmed that a serious vulnerability in its WhatsApp messaging service allowed attackers to install spyware on the phones of users. Researchers say the software has been used to target human rights lawyers.
Key words and phrases:
open to attack or injury
• Your computer may be vulnerable to attack if you don’t update your software.
• Schools have procedures in place to protect vulnerable children.
secretly become part of something
• Spyware is designed to infiltrate your computer.
• The gang was infiltrated by an undercover detective, leading to criminal convictions.
intended to damage
• The system was attacked by a malicious computer virus.
• We’ve been talking about your divorce – but we’re not being malicious. We’re concerned about you.
You’ll find more on this story on our website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-9/session-90