There is a heatwave in Europe. Temperatures are high – close to record levels. Paris and northern France will be worst affected say experts. Learn the vocabulary to talk about this story!
Europe is expecting near-record temperatures with special measures being put in place to prevent loss of life. In France, large parts of the country have been put on the second-highest weather alert. Paris and northern France are expected to be worst affected because of high humidity.
statement about the future based on knowledge and information
• The weather forecast says today will be bright and dry! Let’s go to the beach!
• The economic forecast predicts a sharp drop in employment.
relative darkness caused by something blocking light from the Sun
• It was so hot I needed to find some shade to sit under or I would have burnt.
• I just love this painting. There are so many different shades of red!
relax and enjoy the Sun’s light and warmth
• My cat loves to bask on our roof. She lies there in the Sun for hours!
• The pop star basked in the admiration of her fans.
‘A long period of little or no water’ is spelled:
To watch this on our website, go to: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-10/session-96