South Korean fires warning shots at Russian military aircraft that allegedly crossed into its airspace. South Korean jets fired hundreds of rounds and intercepted a Russian warplane over its eastern border.
South Korea says it fired warning shots at a Russian military aircraft after it violated the country’s airspace off its east coast. An official alleged that the Russian plane breached South Korean airspace twice, prompting the air force to scramble fighter jets and open fire.
The official said it was the first time a Russian plane had violated South Korean airspace and the military was investigating.
Key words and phrases
the firing of a weapon near someone to discourage certain behaviour
• As rioters charged, police officers fired warning shots over the head of the crowd.
• The staff email was a warning shot to management that staff were unhappy.
entering a place or situation you shouldn’t
• Dan can’t stand people intruding on his reading time when he’s on the train.
• My neighbour’s dog won’t stop barking. It intrudes on my sleep at night.
fails to respect a rule, privacy or place
• “The current law violates citizens’ rights,” said the politician.
• The king’s tomb was violated long ago by grave robbers looking for gold.
When something breaks through a wall, barrier or defensive line, it _ it:
For the answer, watch this on our website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-11/session-100