Scientists who study fossils have discovered a new species of tiny T. rex which shows its ancestors were a bit less terrifying. Learn about this story and English words in the news in this free English lesson.
A new dinosaur – a diminutive ancestor of the mighty Tyrannosaurus rex – has been identified by a palaeontologist who first discovered the bones as a teenager in New Mexico more than 20 years ago. The creature dates back 92 million years, about 20 million years earlier than T.rex, and would have been less than a metre tall. Scientists are not certain how the small tyrannosaurus-type dinosaurs evolved into some of the largest and most fearsome creatures ever to walk the Earth.
Key words and phrases
appearing large and impressive
- Professional body builders are imposing figures
- The bank was an imposing building. It seemed to dare thieves to try robbing it.
spoke or acted carefully to avoid making a mistake
- He trod lightly as he arrived. He didn’t want his wife to know he’d come home late.
- The boss is in a terrible mood today, so tread lightly! No bad news!
action or event that helps (someone) advance towards something
- Study hard, class. Each level of education is a stepping stone to your final career.
- Each failed design was a stepping stone in the invention of the light bulb.
Which of the following is a synonym of ‘frightening’?
For the answer, watch this on our website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-11/session-105