Learn vocabulary from the news. We’re talking about coronavirus – or COVID-19 – and the latest news from Italy. The UK government advice is: don’t travel to Italy unless you have to. All public gatherings in the country have been banned, and people there are being told to stay at home in an attempt to control the spread of coronavirus.
emergency situation where movement is restricted
• The street was in lockdown after the gas explosion.
• The building was on lockdown following the security breach.
situation where living things are separated to stop the spread of disease
• My dog went into quarantine when we moved to another country.
• People are being quarantined because of coronavirus.
keep yourself away from other people
• The government is asking people to self-isolate.
• I spent three weeks in self-isolation.
Download the audio and test your understanding here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-13/session-133