Rafael Nadal has beaten world number one Novak Djokovic to win his 13th French Open and 20th Grand Slam title. The only other person to have won 20 Grand Slam titles is Roger Federer. Learn the vocabulary in the news around this story with Georgina and Catherine!
In the past few minutes Rafael Nadal has beaten the world number one Novak Djokovic in straight sets to win the French Open for the 13th time.
The triumph brings the Spaniard a record-equalling 20th Grand Slam title. Roger Federer has also won twenty.
0:00 – Introduction
0:29 – Story
1:24 – Headline 1: Nadal wins French Open to claim record-equalling 20th Grand Slam
3:39 – Headline 2: Flawless Rafael Nadal wins 13th French Open to equal Roger Federer on 20 Grand Slam titles
6:10 – Headline 3: Roger Federer’s touching tribute to ‘greatest rival’ Rafael Nadal after Spaniard joins him on 20 Slams
7:46 – Language summary
Key words and phrases
matching the best achievement
- The boxer celebrated his record-equalling victory.
- The record-equalling number one topped the charts for another week.
perfect; without imperfections
- This video will help you achieve flawless English pronunciation.
- The actor’s performance was flawless.
causing sympathetic or sad emotions
- Her partner’s touching tribute at their anniversary made everyone cry.
- The documentary about elephants was touching.