Restrictions on travel both inside and outside the UK have been placed after a new variant of Covid was discovered. Tom and Neil have the vocabulary you need to talk about this story.Tom and Neil explain this and other phrases and vocabulary you need to talk about this story.
0:00 – Introduction
0:35 – Story
1:50 – Headline 1: London’s mutant Covid has already spread to other parts of UK
4:40 – Headline 2: Ireland joins Italy, Germany and Netherlands in cancelling UK flights amid rising concern over mutant Covid-19 strain
8:18- Headline 3: Five EU countries halt incoming journeys from UK as others looks poised to follow suit
10:50 – Language summary
Ministers will hold crisis talks this morning after many European countries halted passenger and freight transport with the UK because of a new coronavirus variant. In business, some people who can’t fly because of the new restrictions have been offered the chance to book an alternative flight rather than a refund.
Key words and phrases:
different from others of its kind due to a genetic change
- Scientists are still studying the mutant virus.
- The mutant animal is well-recognised amongst fans of science fiction.
in the middle of; surrounded by
- People have been leaving the city amid reports of a new strain of virus.
- They built their house amid the trees.
to follow suit
to do the same thing
- Other countries are expected to follow suit in imposing travel bans.
- Just show me how you normally do it and I will follow suit.
Do download the audio and test you understanding, go to our website at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-16/session-174