Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham are among 12 clubs who have agreed to join a new European Super League (ESL). In a seismic move for European football, the Premier League clubs will join AC Milan, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Juventus and Real Madrid. Tom and Catherine have the vocabulary you need to talk about this story.
0:00 – Introduction
0:30 – Story
1:34 – Headline 1: European Super League: Latest news and live updates as Premier League teams sign up to breakaway Super League
5:10 – Headline 2: Arrogance of the ‘Big Six’ over European Super League beggars belief
7:59 – Headline 3: Roy Keane delivers blunt take on European Super League
10:00 – Language summary
It’s been confirmed six Premier League clubs are planning to form a breakaway league with six European sides. Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham will be among the founder members of this Super League.
Key words and phrases
independent, separate after leaving a group
- The breakaway political party pledged to end government corruption.
- Members of the breakaway group of journalists have impressed many with their challenging reports.
is shocking, outrageous
- It beggars belief that Jamali could come to London and not visit us!
- Footballers get paid so much money! It absolutely beggars belief!
completely honest opinion
- The outgoing director gave a blunt take to shareholders in the final meeting.
- The scientist delivered a blunt take on the effects of climate change.
Test your understanding on our website at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-18/session-190