On the Spanish island of La Palma, a volcano has erupted and has seen thousands of people evacuated from their homes. La Palma is one of the Canary Islands and is located off the coast of Africa.
Neil and Roy talk about the vocabulary from this story so you can talk about it too.
0:00 – Introduction
0:30 – Story
1:32 – Headline 1: Volcano erupts on Canary Islands spewing lava into air after ‘earthquake swarm’
4:53 – Headline 2: Spanish Canary Island volcano erupts, sending lava streaming towards villages
8:04 – Headline 3: Volcano erupts on Spanish island La Palma as rescuers scramble to evacuate 5,000 residents
11:22 – Language summary
A volcano has erupted on the island of La Palma in the Canaries.
Thousands of people living in four villages were evacuated as rivers of lava poured down the hillside. The volcano last erupted fifty years ago.
Key words and phrases:
coming out in large amounts
- Black smoke was spewing out of the engine.
- Paper continued spewing out of the printer. I couldn’t turn it off.
- Water was streaming down the side of the mountain from a burst pipe.
- Tears were streaming down his face as they said goodbye.
move quickly in response to a dangerous situation
- The explosion caused people to scramble for the exit.
- He scrambled up the hill to get to the top.
To download the audio and a transcript and test your understanding, go to our website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-20/session-212