Adele has persuaded Spotify to take the shuffle button off all album pages so tracks play in the artist’s own order. The singer tweeted: “We don’t create albums with so much care and thought into our track listing for no reason. “Our art tells a story and our stories should be listened to as we intended. Thank you Spotify for listening.” The streaming service replied “anything for you”. A statement later hailed their “new premium feature… to make play the default button on all albums”.
Rob and Neil discuss this news story and teach you some related vocabulary so you can talk about it too.
0:00 – Introduction
0:33 – Story
1:50 – Headline 1: The Times: Adele persuades Spotify to remove shuffle as default option on albums
5:00 – Headline 2: Bangkok Post: Spotify bows to Adele, drops ‘shuffle’ as album song-playing default
7:35 – Headline 3: NPR: Adele asked Spotify to remove the default shuffle button for albums, and they obliged
10:00 – Language summary
Key words and phrases:
standard; first option
• I set my old phone to the default factory settings before I sold it.
• The company defaulted on its payments and was closed down.
agrees to someone’s demands
• The café bowed to public pressure to serve organic milk in its coffee.
• He had to bow to the demands of his audience and sing again.
agreed or forced (to do something)
• He wasn’t keen but when he received the wedding invitation he felt obliged to attend.
• She asked for a room with a view and the hotel obliged.
To download the audio and a transcript and test your understanding, go to our website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-21/session-221