The United States has told the families of staff that work in the embassy in Ukraine to leave. It has also told its citizens not to travel to Russia.
This all relates to fears that there will some kind of military action by Russia against Ukraine. Russia denies planning this.
Rob and Roy discuss this news story and teach you some related vocabulary so you can talk about it too.
0:00 – Introduction
0:33 – Story
1:42 – Headline 1: U.S. tells diplomats’ families to leave Ukraine, weighs troop options
4:50 – Headline 2: U.S. embassy families in Ukraine ordered to leave country as war fears mount
7:07 – Headline 3: US Embassy in Ukraine requests departure of nonessential staff, report says
10:09 – Language summary
considers value of potential plans
- She will weigh all options before deciding whether to apply for the new job or not.
- The potential outcomes will be weighed up before any decision is made on a new deal.
concerns gradually increase
- Tensions between the two business parties have seen fears mount that a deal will not happen.
- Excitement mounted as his birthday approached.
employees who are not necessary for critical functions
- All nonessential staff were told to abandon the ship after it started sinking.
- There aren’t any nonessential staff here over the weekend.
To download the audio and a transcript and test your understanding, go to our website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview-2022/unit-1/session-3