Lorry drivers in Canada have been protesting against rules that they must be vaccinated to enter the US. They have been blocking access to the city of Ottawa for three weeks.
Rob and Rob discuss this news story and teach you some related vocabulary so you can talk about it too.
0:00 – Introduction
0:30 – Story
1:23 – Headline 1: Police reclaim Canada capital after trucker siege ends
4:23 – Headline 2: Justin Trudeau ends Canada’s trucker siege but leaves bitter divisions
7:41 – Headline 3: Canada makes final push to end weeks-long protest in capital: Hundreds of police officers surround downtown Ottawa and warn residents to keep away or face arrest after taking almost 200 into custody this weekend
10:32 – Language summary
organised operation to prevent a place from receiving supplies in order to force a surrender
- The army laid siege for 17 days before the city surrendered.
- The siege of the building was broken up by armed police.
angry disagreements between two groups
- There were bitter divisions between the two groups after years of fighting.
- The new political manifesto created bitter divisions within the party.
last effort or movement
- The police made a final push to clear the crowded streets.
- The politician made a final push to win the presidency after weeks of failing to impress voters.
To download the audio and a transcript and test your understanding, go to our website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview-2022/unit-1/session-7