There have been calls for the transition to alternative and renewable energy sources to be speeded up. The War in Ukraine has made many people question their reliance on oil and gas.
Rob and Roy look at the vocabulary used in the headlines.
0:00 – Introduction
0:45 – Story
1:48 – Headline 1: Europe’s fuel crisis re-energizes debate over natural gas
5:05 – Headline 2: UK renewable energy projects should be accelerated to mitigate impact of Ukraine conflict
7:50 – Headline 3: Is the UK government finally seeing sense on renewables?
10:32 – Language summary
give new energy and life to something
- The new evidence re-energised interest in the case.
- I felt re-energised after my weekend at the spa.
lessen negative effects
- The new scheme was designed to mitigate the effects of the tax increase on low-income families.
- The new ad campaign was created to mitigate the bad publicity from the original adverts.
understanding something logical
- No matter how many times I tell him he needs to stop shouting in the office, he won’t see sense.
- I just wish you’d see sense and let people off the train before you get on it.
To download the audio and a transcript and test your understanding, go to our website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview-2022/unit-1/session-10