Emmanuel Macron has been voted President of France for a second time. He won 58 percent of the vote against Marine Le Pen – a far-right candidate.
He promised to unite France and said that he understood many people had voted for him to stop Marine Le Pen getting into power.
Rob and Roy look at the vocabulary used in the headlines about this story.
0:00 – Introduction
0:29 – Story
1:36 – Headline 1: French election: Emmanuel Macron’s victory will be greeted by sighs of relief across Europe
4:33 – Headline 2: Opinion: Why Macron’s win is a big blow to Putin
7:09 – Headline 3: Why the EU’s future hinges on the French election result
9:44 – Language summary
Key words and phrases
sighs of relief
moments of relaxation after a serious problem
- She let out a sigh of relief when the shop refunded her money.
- I can breathe a sigh of relief now my contract has been renewed.
large unexpected negative event
- The rejection letter was a big blow to his confidence.
- When the funding was cut for the new station to be built, it was a big blow to the town.
depends on something happening
- The merger going through hinges on the two sides agreeing to make concessions.
- My plans to go on holiday next month hinges on me getting a bonus.
To download the audio and a transcript and test your understanding, go to our website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview-2022/unit-1/session-16